Jump to main content
International Office
Health Insurance

Health Insurance

In order to register at CUT, each (international) student has to submit a confirmation of a German statutory health insurance company that confirms that the students is sufficiently health insured. Students can choose between public (statutory) and private health insurance companies.

Students from the European Union can use their European Health Insurance Card as proof of sufficient health insurance coverage. They have to get a confirmation (e.g. stamp) of a German health insurance company in order to be able to register at CUT.

Students from non-EU countries most likely will have to take out health insurance in Germany as German health insurance companies cannot always confirm sufficient coverage from third country insurances. Students can choose between private and statutory health insurance companies.

Necessary documents to get health insurance:

  • valid passport
  • bank account details
  • letter of admission from TUC /  certificate of study


Statutory health insurance

For all statutory health insurances a contribution fee of approx. 105 € per month has to be paid. Statutory health insurance expires after 14 semesters or with the age of 30. Guest researchers (or similar) can only get statutory insurance, if a signed working contract with TUC is at hand. Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) is a cooperation partner of TUC. However, there are also other statutory health insurance comanpies in Germany.

Statutory Insurance Companies

Office, WWW

Phone  +49

Contact Person

Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)

Am Rathaus 2


(0) 151 14534991

Mrs. Andreas

Private health insurance

In generell, private health insurance enables the same conditions as a public insurance, however, the conditions have to be checked carefully. Private health insurance companies usually refund all medical charges when presenting the bill / receipt. Furthermore, guest researchers (or similar) can take out private health insurance without a working contract at CUT. Private health insurance is required if the health insurance of the home country is not accepted in Germany, i.e. for students from countries that have NOT signed a health care agreement with Germany).

  • Insurance can only be taken out for a maximum insurance period of 24 months.

necessary documents to get health insurance:

  • passport
  • bank account details
  • letter of admission from TUC /  certificate of study


Further information on health insurances in Germany can be found here.

Press Articles

  • Operating on Hips in a Virtual Operating Room

    Researchers from Chemnitz and Bremen are developing a virtual reality simulator for a particularly critical step in hip joint implantation …

  • Ready to Move In, Just in Time for Winter Semester

    The Dormitory at Vettersstraße 66 is open again as of October – brand new single-occupancy rooms offer a micro-bath, refrigerator, microwave, two cooking plates and wi-fi …

  • Running Together for the University

    Compete on behalf of Chemnitz University of Technology at the WiC Company Run on 4 September 2019 – Registration is open until 24 August – TUC running shirts will be available after 26 August …

  • Three More Years in Operation

    The Mittelstand 4.0 Competence Centre Chemnitz, under the leadership of Chemnitz University of Technology, has received an extension through the year 2021 …