The Chemnitzer educational institution, founded in 1836, has a long history of engineering education. Many personalities who made substantially contribution to development of science and technology taught at this institution. Some works like "Physikalische Demonstrationen" and "Die Schule der Chemie" were basic works for practical and theoretical education for a long time.
The holding of the University Library Chemnitz includes a large volume of address books and indexes of great significance for current research. The collection comprises important books which were published until 1900 and haven't been digitized yet.