Application for Diploma/ Bachelor's/ Master's degree/ study for teaching degree (primary school)
Chemnitz University of Technology does not cooperate with commercial agencies in Germany and abroad that place applicants at Chemnitz University of Technology. Information about the application process at our university can be found below.
The following applicants have to apply via uni-assist e.V.:
- Foreign applicants without German high school diploma (applicants with foreign education background, but not for applicants as an exchange student/ Erasmus)
- Foreign applicants with a foreign Bachelor's or Master's degree (not for applicants as an exchange student/ Erasmus)
- Foreign applicants with completed entrance examination test (FSP) from a Studienkolleg in Germany without former admission letter from Chemnitz University of Technology
Please visit the uni-assist webpage regarding information about the way of your application: www.uni-assist.de
In the following cases, the application for admission has to be submitted via our online application
- Applicants of German nationality with foreign high school diploma or foreign university degree
- Applicants with completed entrance examination test (FSP) from Studienkolleg Sachsen in Germany with former admission letter from Chemnitz University of Technology
- Applicants with a European Baccalaureate (Beschluss der KMK vom 14.06.2018)
- Applicants with a German university degree
- Applicants who finished the preparatory German language course at Chemnitz University of Technology with DSH II and former preparatory course admission letter from our university
- Applicants for an exchange programme or outside such a programme (exchange student/ Erasmus)
- Applicants for study course change within the university
- Applicants for doctoral degree programme
Information on the Dialogue-Oriented Service Procedure (DoSV) of Hochschulstart:
For the following degree programmes (1st semester) at first you have to apply via the dialogue-oriented service procedure (DoSV) on Hochschulstart.de:
- State Examination for Education Studies
- Bachelor Media Communication
- Bachelor Education
- Bachelor Psychology
- Bachelor Prevention, Rehabilitation and Fitness Sport
Register first at Hochschulstart.de. You will get a BID and a BAN number. You will need this BID and BAN number to apply via the uni-assist application portal. For detailed information about DoSV, please visit the homepage of https://hochschulstart.de.
For application via uni-assist, the following documents have to be submitted:
- original attested copy of high school diploma certificate including transcripts in original language, with original attested copy of translation in German or English language
- original attested copy of successfully completed university entrance examination (not for all countries)
- if available, original attested copies of all other proofs of successfully completed university studies at the home country (duration of studies, transcripts, acquired degrees), with original attested copy of translation in German or English language
- original APS-certificate or digital verifiable document (only for Chinese, Vietnamese and Indian applicants)
- original attested copy of sport ability test (only if you apply for the Bachelor's degree in Prevention, Rehabilitation, Fitness (Präventions-, Rehabilitations- und Fitnesssport))
- original attested copy of German language proof if your native language is not German (please see the exceptions under “Language knowledge”, “English degree programmes”)
- you can also apply with your provisional certificate or last year transcript
Important information about APS certificate India for the summer semester 2024:
For the summer semester 2024 application procedure, Indian applicants who still live abroad and want to apply for a study programme in Germany, can submit their application to uni-assist without the APS certificate. If you receive your APS certificate after the application deadline, you must submit the document directly to the university. In this case, the original certificate or the digital verifiable document must be presented to us at latest during the time of your enrolment.
An application via uni-assist is possible for the summer semester from 1st October and for the winter semester from 1st April. You can apply for a maximum of two desired study courses.
For the application via uni-assist it is mandatory to submit original attested documents of your educational certificates by post to uni-assist.
If all requirements and documents were checked, uni-assist will forward your documents to the university. All applicants who can prove that they have a university entrance qualification (HZB) receive a test report from uni-assist. This documents the determined HZB as well as the converted HZB grade. With the start of processing at the university, you will receive an email about the further information of the procedure of your application. In case that the formal requirements are not fulfilled, you will receive a respective message from uni-assist. Please note that uni-assist does not send back any application documents submitted.
TestAS is a central, standardized ability assessment for studies. Please note that Chemnitz University of Technology does not issue TestAS certificates. You may take TestAS-examinations at the following assessment centers.
- summer term January 15th
- winter term: July 15th
Uni-assist need to receive all application documents by post until the deadline. Please try to start your application at uni-assist as early as possible so that you can be informed at short notice if your documents are complete. Subsequent documents must be submitted by 15th January for summer semester / 15th July for winter semester, otherwise the application will be rejected.
Costs and payment
Please inform yourself at the uni-assist homepage about the costs for your application.
Assessment test ("Feststellungsprüfung")
In the case that your foreign high school diploma is not equivalent to the German high school diploma, you have to complete a Studienkolleg in Germany (“Feststellungsprüfung-FSP”) before beginning university studies. In a Studienkolleg you will be prepared for studying at a German university. The preparatory year ends with the FSP, which, in combination with your foreign school diploma, entitles you to study in Germany.
At https://anabin.kmk.org/anabin.html you can find the information if you have to attend a Studienkolleg.
The preparatory course and the assessment test are not administered by Chemnitz University of Technology, but by Studienkolleg Sachsen in Leipzig. Students who want to get an admission to Studienkolleg need to show an original certified copy of German language certificate of status B1 (e.g. DSH I, TestDaF 3/3/3/3, Goethe Institut B1 etc.). For admission to Studienkolleg we also accept language proofs of private institutions.
German taught degree programmes
Proof of German Proficiency is required for students applying for German taught programmes. As proof of German proficiency for direct admission, the following original attested copies of certificates are accepted:
- DSH II, DSH III
- TestDaf: level 4 in all 4 examinations parts
- telc C1 Hochschule
- Goethe Institute – ZOP
- Goethe Institute – KDS
- Goethe Institute – GDS
- DSD II
- Goethe-Institute C2
- German language examination of the Sprachen- und Dolmetscher-Institut München
- German language proof of Diplome du Baccalauréat
- US-Advanced Placement-test (AP-examination) in German language (KMK vom 10./11.09.1992)
- Leaving certificate of the advanced level of high school from Belgium
- High school certificate of the Grand Duchy Luxemburg
- Maturity Diploma of schools with German as language of instruction in the Autonomous province of Bozen-South Tyrol (Italy)
- Leaving certificate of the international section for German language at Liceo Gimnasiale "Luigi Galvani" in Bologna
- Leaving certificate of German-Irish bilingual high school (Bilingual Leaving Certificate) at the Deutschen Schule Dublin, St. Kilian`s
- Leaving certificate of the bilingual departments at Liceo Ginnasio Statale "Romagnosi" in Parma and at Liceo Classico Statale Socrate in Bari
German language proofs from private institutions will not be accepted.
For applicants who cannot submit any of the proof of above mentioned German language proofs, the University of Technology in Chemnitz offers a preparatory German language course. For this course you need to show an original attested copy of one of the following German language proofs:
- B2 from Goethe-Institute
- ösd B2
- telc B2
- DSH I
- TestDaF-level 3 at all 4 examination parts
Attendance certificates will not be accepted.
This course lasts one or two semester and will qualify to complete the DSH-examination. You will receive the application form for this course together with your admission letter. This course costs 1.500 €/ term. You will receive further information from the International Office.
English taught degree programmes
Proof of German Proficiency (required for students applying for English taught programmes)
Applicants applying for a degree programme offered in English language need to show an original certified copy of German language proof at minimum level A1 at the time of application. Until the end of their third study term at Chemnitz University of Technology, they have to submit a German language proof at level A2. German language courses at level A2 will be offered at our university. Language certificates for German language proof at level A1 are only accepted from the Goethe-Institut or ÖSD. German language attendance certificates will not be accepted.
This regulation is valid for the following courses:
- Master Embedded Systems
- Master English Studies
- Master Information and Communication Systems
- Master Micro and Nano Systems
For the following degree programmes, the applicants do not need to show a proof of German language skills at time of application:
- Master Advanced Functional Materials
- Master Automotive Software Engineering
- Master Web Engineering
- Master Advanced Manufacturing
- Master Advanced and Computational Mathematics
Proof of English language skills for English-taught study courses
Please inform yourself in advance at the visa issuing office of the German embassy to find out about the visa requirements and which documents you need to bring with you to apply for a visa, especially language certificates.
Applicants for courses taught in English must provide evidence of English language skills. Applicants from countries with English as official/ educational or native language are not required to submit a proof of English language proficiency within their application.
For English-taught study courses, except the Master's course in English Studies, English language skills at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) must be submitted, These certificates need to be handed in as original certified copies:
- IELTS from 5.5
- TOEFL iBT (Internet Based Test): min. 72 points
- TOEFL PBT: min. 543 points
- TOEFL ITP Level 1: min. 543 points
- Cambridge Preliminary English Test + Result Distinction (PET)
- Cambridge First Certificate in English: Grade B or C (FCE)
- Cambridge English: Business Vantage (BEC Vantage), Legal (ILEC), Financial (ICFE)
- Cambridge IGCSE: 1st oder 2nd Language on average B2
- Pearson PTE Academic: min. 59 points
- TOEIC: Listening and Reading Test min. 785 points, Speaking Test min. 160 points, Writing Test min. 150 points
- telc B2
- UNIcert II
- Study in English studies
- completed degree with English as the language of instruction
- proof of professional qualification as interpreter/ translator
Applicants for the Master's degree Advanced and Computational Mathematics, who can prove English skills with comparable suitable documents, are subject to an individual assessment.
Applicants for the Master's degree English Studies need to submit English language skills at level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). This must be proven by one of the following language certificates with an original certified copy:
- IELTS from 7.0
- TOEFL iBT (Internet Based Test): min. 95 points
- TOEFL PBT: min. 627 points
- TOEFL ITP Level 1: min. 627 points
- Cambridge First Certificate in English + Grade A (FCE)
- Certificate of Advanced English + Grade in English: Grade B or C (CAE)
- Cambridge English: Business Higher (BEC higher)
Cambridge IGCSE: 1st oder 2nd Language on average C1
- Pearson PTE Academic: min. 76 points
- TOEIC: Listening and Reading Test min. 945 points, Speaking Test min. 180 points, Writing Test min. 180 points
- telc C1
- UNIcert III
- Study in English studies
- completed degree with English as the language of instruction
- proof professional qualification as interpreter/ translator