Prof. Dr. Nina Katrin Hansen
Faculty of Economics and Business Administration
Professorship BWL VI - Human Resource Management and Leadership Studies
Thüringer Weg 7
Nina Katrin Hansen is a Full Professor and the Chair of Human Resource Management & Leadership Studies at the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Chemnitz University of Technology, Germany. Professor Hansen's main areas of research lie at the intersection of Human Resource Management, Organization Studies and Strategic Management. Based on a multi–level approach, her research focuses on the question of how human resource management systems influence intellectual capital architectures, organizational capabilities and firm performance especially in the field of Professional Service Firms (PSFs). She is furthermore interested in topics such as the Micro–Foundations of Strategic Management or Strategy–as–Practice. She thereby applies quantitative methods such as structural equation modeling as well as qualitative methods such as expert interviews.
Professor Hansen's research results have been published in leading international journals such as ‘Human Resource Management’ (Financial Times' Top 50), the ‘Human Resource Management Journal’ (ABS-Ranking: 4) or the ‘International Journal of Human Resource Management’ as well as in relevant academic text books such as the ‘Oxford Handbook of Professional Service Firms’.
Nina Katrin Hansen studied Business Administration and Sociology at the University of Hamburg. Her Bachelor studies were thereby supported by a scholarship from the German Academic Scholarship Foundation (The Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes). From 2005 to 2010 she worked as a research associate and PhD candidate and from 2010 to 2015 as a post-doctoral researcher and lecturer at the Chair of Human Resources Management, Hamburg Business School (BWL), University of Hamburg. In 2010, she received her doctorate and her dissertation was awarded with the dissertation prize by Hamburg Business School at the University of Hamburg. From February to March 2014 she was a Visiting Researcher at the Centre for Professional Service Firms, Saďd Business School, University of Oxford.
Her first appointment was in 2015 at the University of Bath (United Kingdom). From September 2015 to May 2020 she was Associate Professor in HRM and Organization Studies at the School of Management. Here she was also the Director of Studies for the Master's program "HRM and Consulting" and a member of the "Future of Work"-Research Centre. Professor Hansen is furthermore a member of the Academy of Management (AOM), the German Academic Association for Business Research (VHB), the German Association of University Professors and Lecturers (DHV), the European Academy of Management (EURAM) and the European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS).
- Hansen, N.K, Güttel, W.H., & Swart, J. (2019). HRM in Dynamic Environments: Exploitative, Exploratory and Ambidextrous HR Architectures. International Journal of Human Resource Management. 30, (4): 648-680. (ABS-Journal-Ranking: 3)
- Hauff, S., Alewell, D. & Hansen, N.K. (2018). Further Exploring the Links between High Performance Work Practices and Firm Performance: A Multiple-Mediation Model in the German Context, German Journal of Human Resource Management, 30 (1): 5-26.
- Hansen, N.K. & Schnittka, O. (2018). Applicants’ Likelihood to Apply for Jobs at Professional Service Firms: The Role of Different Career Models. Human Resource Management. 57 (5): 1009-1022. (Financial Times' Top 50; ABS-Journal-Ranking: 4)
- Hauff, S., Alewell, D. & Hansen, N.K. (2017). HRM Systems Strength and HRM Target Achievement – Towards a Broader Understanding of HRM Processes. Human Resource Management. 56 (5): 715-729. (Financial Times' Top 50; ABS-Journal-Ranking: 4)
- Swart, J., Hansen, N.K. & Kinnie, N. (2015): Strategic Human Resource Management and Performance Management in Professional Service Firms. In: Empson, L., Muzio, D., Broschak, J. & Hinings, B. (Eds.): The Oxford Handbook of Professional Service Firms, Oxford University Press, pp. 476-502.
- Hauff, S., Alewell, D. & Hansen, N.K. (2014).HRM Systems between Control and Commitment: Occurrence, Characteristics, and Effects on HR Outcomes and Firm Performance. Human Resource Management Journal, 24 (4), 424-441. (ABS-Journal-Ranking: 4)
- Hansen, N.K. & Alewell, D. (2013). Employment Systems as Governance Mechanisms of Human Capital and Capability Development. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 24 (11), 2131-2153. (ABS-Journal-Ranking: 3)
- Alewell, D. & Hansen, N.K. (2012). Human Resource Management Systems - A Structured Review of Research Contributions and Open Questions. The German Journal of Industrial Relations, 19 (2), 1-34.
Awards & Prizes
- 2nd place in the ‘Hamburg Teaching Prize 2012/2013’ (‘Hamburger Lehrpreis 2012/2013’) for outstanding and innovative teaching at the Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, University of Hamburg, for the lecture ‘HRM in Professional Service Firms’
- Best PhD Thesis Award 2010, Department of Business Administration, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, University of Hamburg (sponsored by Kampmann, Berg & Partner)