Europe in focus: Across Alliance panel discussed solutions to challenges in cross-border areas
European Universities Week: Across International Alliance of European Cross-Border University hosted discussion with international experts on cross-border challenges in higher education
As Europe Day approaches on 9 May 2022, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) has proclaimed the Week of European Universities. In this context, the European Cross-Border University Across invited four international researchers from member universities to a panel discussion in the run-up to the event. Chemnitz University of Technology has joined forces with nine international universities as a part of the Across Alliance to develop a unique education and transfer space in the cross-border region. Accordingly, the interdisciplinary panel discussed challenges that arise in this context. In addition, the panel identified fields of action for a European University. A continuous policy dialogue between universities and politicians in the regional context was identified as an important approach. In this way, the requirements of politics in the cross-border context can be taken into account and border regions can be effectively and sustainably shaped through the activities of European Universities.
The panel discussion is available online on the Across European University Week webpage.
- Sanita Martena is professor for applied linguistics at the Rezekne Acadamey of Technology (Latvia) with focus on language and education policy, multilingualism in the Baltic States, linguistic landscapes, Latgalic language, and folk linguistics.
- Gian Luca Gardini is professor at the department of international law at the University of Udine (Italy) and is furthermore experienced in EU policy and consultancy.
- Romi Pena is professor at the University of Lleida (Spain) and an expert in life sciences and genetics. Pena also serves as deputy head of international relations at the faculty of agriculture, forestry, natural sciences and engineering.
- Svilen Kunev rounded out the panel as professor of business administration and entrepreneurship at the University of Ruse (Bulgaria).
- Presenter. Sorin Cazacu, professor of cultural studies at the University of Craiova (Romania)
The European Cross-Border University Across aims to become a reference for knowledge transfer and innovative development of cross-border territories. It aims to train experts who can influence and actively shape social, economic and scientific development in cross-border territories by addressing their fundamental challenges.
For this purpose, ten European universities have joined forces in the extraordinary cooperation project "Across" and set the goal of creating an integrating and cross-border European university. All partners are enthusiastic about the idea of creating a common European higher education area:
- Bialystok University of Technology (Poland)
- Chemnitz University of Technology (Germany)
- University of Craiova (Romania)
- University of Girona (Spain)
- University of Lleida (Spain)
- University of Nova Gorica (Slovenia)
- University of Perpignan Via Domitia (France)
- Rezekne Technological Academy (Latvia)
- University of Ruse (Bulgaria)
- University of Udine (Italy)
(Article: Dr. Benny Liebold / Translation: Imke Leyk)