Institut für Anglistik / Amerikanistik
At the Department of English, we teach linguistics, literary studies, area studies, TESOL and practical language skills. Our B.A. English Studies and M.A. English Studies are both accredited study programmes.
We place a strong emphasis on intercultural competence and communication, practical skills, interdisciplinarity, cutting-edge research, digital methods and individual student support. Click below to learn more about our B.A. (undergraduate) and M.A. (graduate) programmes.
SectionsOur department consists of the professorships for English and Digital Linguistics, English Literatures, Anglophone Area Studies, the junior professorship for TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) as well as the Practical Language section. Click below to learn more about us.
Current Courses (KoVo)The KoVo (Kommentiertes Vorlesungsverzeichnis) is our annotated course catalogue. Find out more about the wide variety of courses we currently offer, what to expect and how to register.
Practical ExperienceWe value practical experience very highly. Click below for more information about job offers for students, internships and other opportunities to gain practical experience, both in Germany and abroad. Studying with us will allow you to work in a variety of fields within a rapidly growing job market for English-speaking professionals.
Going Abroad / ERASMUS+International exchange is at the centre of our educational programme. Whether you are planning your semester abroad at our partner universities and institutions in Europe and Southeast Asia or whether you are an incoming student, more information is available if you click below.
English ListAll students and staff are asked to sign up for the English List, our department's mailing list, for news and updates. Click below for information on how to subscribe and to never miss out on important news.
Excellent individual support
We have an excellent teacher-to-student ratio, which is why we can offer more individual support than many other universities.
Practical language training
A wide range of practical language courses help students enhance their English language proficiency (e.g. in pronunciation, grammar, reading, writing, speaking and translation) and support them in the development of core academic skills, such as essay writing and presentation skills.
We have ties to many attractive partner universities abroad, not only in Europe (like many other universities) but even in South(east) Asia.
Interesting focus areas
Our staff members are experts in their specialised research fields, and we can therefore offer you interesting focus areas for your studies and your own research projects:
- As an English Department at a technical university, we have a focus on digital technologies and methods and you can even study Digital English Linguistics, where you will learn about software development, chatbots etc.
- Home to the creative writing journal Turning Pages, our English Literatures section prioritises creativity and intellectual rigour, offering courses on a wide range of global Anglophone literatures from South Asia to Canada to New Zealand.
- Our English Department features one of the few Anglophone Area Studies sections in Germany with a focus on social science and politics.
- Our TESOL section is very popular with students because it goes beyond traditional teacher education and enables them to teach in a variety of educational settings.
Work experience as a student assistant or tutor at the department
We frequently offer fixed-term work opportunities at the department for tutors or student assistants.
Graduates with a degree in English Studies (Anglistik/Amerikanistik) work in a variety of different areas, including, but not limited to:
- Journalism (press, radio, television)
- Language teaching
- Private education and training
- Natural Language Processing
- Research (at universities or research facilities)
- Social media
- Public relations
- Communication management
- Marketing and advertisement
- Art and culture
- Legal, economic and personnel consulting
- Human resources, administration
- Study programme coordination
- Opinion research
- Quality assurance/management (for study design, etc.)
- Technical writing/editing
- Study and exam regulations (B.A. English Studies)
- Study and exam regulations (M.A. English Studies)
- Study and exam regulations (English LAGS)
- General forms (exam registration/withdrawal, application for final paper, statement of authorship, etc.)
- Application forms (application for semester classification (Fachsemestereinstufung), parallel study, application for guest students, etc.)
- Information on study programme change
- Information on pregnancy leave
|Study Advisor||Dr. Mandy Beck|
|Examination Office (Prüfungsamt) English Studies||Birgit Weigold|
|Language Programme||Dr. Isabelle van der Bom|
|ERASMUS and semester abroad requirements||
Katharina Scholz, M.A. ( outgoing.english@...)
Prof. Dr. Christina Sanchez-Stockhammer
|Chair of the examination board (Prüfungsausschuss)||Prof. Dr. Christina Sanchez-Stockhammer|