Research at Chemnitz University of Technology
Chemnitz University of Technology stands for internationally competitive cutting-edge research dealing with future-oriented key themes of global demand. In this respect, the university is characterized by its special brand of trans-disciplinary networking as well as by focussing on three core competencies. A proof of the high attractiveness of Chemnitz University of Technology for the "best heads" worldwide is the fact that every 4th enrolled PhD-student and nearly every 6th scientific staff member comes from abroad.
The research at Chemnitz University of Technology focusses over the faculties on the following three core competencies:
- Materials and Smart Systems: innovative materials as well as new integration technologies of materials and systems, f.e. in medical engineering, energy technology and lightweight construction.
- Resource-efficient Production and Lightweight Structures: innovative production technologies for less resource consuming as well as flexible and versatile production processes.
- Humans and Technology: Design of technology and organization for the benefit of the human being in his working and living conditions as well as sanitary impacts/ potentials of work and technology on the human being.
The research at Chemnitz University of Technology, supported and encouraged by the University Management and other institutions at the university, is carried out by about 150 professorships at 8 faculties as well as at the Centre for Teacher Training:
Chemnitz University of Technology is closely networked on the local and regional level as well as in Germany and globally. Thus, in research it not only closely cooperates with partner universities in Germany and worldwide but also with extramural research institutions (i.a. Fraunhofer Institute for Machine Tools and Forming Technology Chemnitz, Fraunhofer Institute for Electronic Nano Systems Chemnitz, Branch Office of the Leibniz Institute for Integrative Nanosciences Chemnitz) and companies, i.a. within joint research projects and research clusters, but also in the promotion of young scientists, f.e. by jointly supervised doctorates.
There is a great variety of opportunities to do scientific work at Chemnitz University of Technology, i.a.
- within a research internship: For this, the application should be directly sent to a professorship at Chemnitz University of Technology whose research profile is the closest to the own research project. Please reconsider in your time schedule and before, if applicable, enquiring at the professorship a processing time of your application of about 1 month. In the case of positive decision, you coordinate beginning, duration and content of your research internship directly with the professorship.
- within continuation of your scientific qualification by doing your PhD or as postdoc.
- within a research stay, e.g. by individual applications within appropriate funding programs or under the roof of exchange of scientists within the international partner network of Chemnitz University of Technology.
- within a position as scientific staff member or as (junior-)professor. Naturally, candidates from abroad also have the opportunity at any time to apply for open job positions at Chemnitz University of Technology.
Chemnitz University of Technology is an acknowledged outstanding research university which is charactized by high scientific performance and reputation. This is proven i.a. by its extraordinary ability to acquire additional funding for scientific projects (so-called "third-party funding"). Such financial resources which are acquired within competitive application procedures constitute nearly the half of the total budget of Chemnitz University of Technology.
In addition to the excellent reputation of the university in research (and, related to that, of qualifications awarded/ acquired), the scientific work at Chemnitz University of Technology is characterized by team work, particularly in the field of promotion of young scientists also institutionalized in the form of graduate schools and researchers groups. Thanks to that, in addition to the own scientific skills and qualifications also the personal, social, intercultural and linguistic abilities and competencies are strenghtened and further developed.