Content Hotkeys
English Department
MA Anglistik/Amerikanistik


MA Anglistik/Amerikanistik

If you are interested in an orientation semester before you commence your Master's degree, please click here.

PDF Flyer mit Übersichtsinformationen (1,1MB)

PDF Flyer English (1,1MB)

Das Institut Anglistik / Amerikanistik der Technischen Universität Chemnitz bietet Absolventinnen und Absolventen mit Bachelor-Abschluss einen MASTER-STUDIENGANG ANGLISTIK / AMERIKANISTIK mit folgenden Schwerpunkten an:

  • English as a Global Language
  • TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
  • Postcolonial Studies and Inter-Cultural Encounters
  • Intertextuality, Gender and Cultural Knowledge
  • Comparing Societies, Politics and Cultures

Dieser innovative Studiengang basiert auf den drei Säulen Sprachwissenschaft, Literatur- und Kulturwissenschaft und den Kultur- und Länderstudien, deren Schwerpunkte flexibel kombinierbar sind. Abgedeckt werden die Forschungsfelder globale Entwicklungen der englischen Sprache und deren Vermittlung in unterschiedlichen kulturellen Kontexten, allgemeine anglo-amerikanische sowie postkoloniale Literatur- und Kulturtheorie, Medientheorie und Mediengeschichte, Cultural Diversity und Ethnicity sowie sozialwissenschaftliche Theorien und Methoden. Zu den wichtigsten Zielen zählt die Förderung und Festigung kommunikativer und interkultureller Kompetenzen. Darüber hinaus gilt die besondere Aufmerksamkeit Fragen (trans-)nationaler Identitätsbildung und deren unterschiedlichen textuellen und medialen Repräsentationen.




Mandy Beck, M.A.

Weitere Infos bieten die Webseiten des Instituts für Anglistik /Amerikanistik oder per Email.


An dieser Stelle stehen Modulbeschreibungen, Verordnungen und Studienpläne zum Download zur Verfügung.

Prüfungs- und Studienordnung Master Anglistik/Amerikanistik

  Beschreibung Version
PDF Master Prüfungs- und Studienordnung
(inkl. Modulbeschreibungen und Studienablaufplan)
Juni 2017 und ältere

Studienführer Anglistik/Amerikanistik

  Beschreibung Version
PDF Studienführer zur Anglistik/Amerikanistik Februar 2012

Das kommentierte Vorlesungsverzeichnis (KoVo)

The current courses for MA students can be found in the KoVo.

International MA students
Two translation courses are part of the MA curriculum.

Do you have a certificate for German at the A1, A2, or B1 level? You are not required to take the Translation classes in the Practical Language Program (Translation English-German; Translation German-English). Instead, you may take German language classes at the Language Centre, but you must register for these courses online through OPAL (found under “Sprachenzentrum” / “Deutsch als Fremdsprache”).
Do you have a certificate for German at the B2 level? You can take the C1-level German course at the Language Center. After you have completed the C1-level German course, you may take the Translation German-English course the following semester. If you do not want to attend the Translation German-English course, you may attend a specialisation course at the C1 German level (e.g. Wissenschaftliches Schreiben) instead, but you must register online through OPAL (found under “Sprachenzentrum” / “Deutsch als Fremdsprache” or “Wissenschaftliches Schreiben”).
If you have any questions, please contact the Practical Language Programme Coordinator, Mindy Krull.

MA Anglistik/Amerikanistik - FAQs

Q Do you recognise my B.A. if it is not in Anglistik/Amerikanistik directly?
A Yes, if you know English really well (which you can prove in a placement test) and have passed a B.A. that includes any aspect of English at least as a larger module or a Magister or equivalent teaching qualification with an average rate of at least 2.5 you are admitted almost automatically. If international certificates are not absolutely clear we follow the guidelines provided by the Kultusministerkonferenz.
Q What are the legal requirements for studying an M.A. Anglistik/Amerikanistik at Chemnitz?
A Anglistik/Amerikanistik is a consecutive degree programme following on from any B.A./Magister/teaching/diploma English certificate that you have passed with a minimum average of 2.5.
Q What do you advise us to do if we still have a few months before we want to start the M.A. at Chemnitz?
A Go for an internship abroad and try to learn other languages at least to an intermediate level (B1 in the European framework for languages).
Q Can I study abroad during my M.A.?
A Yes, you can. In many cases the courses in your 3rd semester can be done online or while you are abroad. You can, of course, also write your M.A. thesis while abroad or you can collect materials for your M.A. thesis.
Q Can I get ERASMUS support for my semester abroad?
A Yes, you can. If you have not had your ERASMUS semester abroad in you B.A. studies, you can even get financial support through our ERASMUS Office. Even if you want to do a placement / internship abroad, you can get support from the ERASMUS Office / IUZ or from the DAAD: DAAD Antrag Auslandsstipendium
Q Can I get other support for fieldwork for my M.A. thesis abroad?
A Yes, you can. There is a special DAAD programme that caters for such cases. But you have to draft a project proposal early enough, at least three months before you want to go: DAAD Abschlussarbeiten
Q Why is there no specialised M.A. in linguistics or literature or cultural studies?
A There is no need, we think that we have very good specialisation modules at the core of our MA programme. Only some practical language and some professional skills modules are so broad that they should be useful for every M.A. student. The two specialisation modules you have to select allow you to develop your career plan in language, literature and culture: e.g.
  • If you want to teach English with a really modern international teaching perspective, which we call "Teaching English as a language of international communication" (TELIC), you choose "TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)" with "English as a Global Language".
  • If you would like to make an international career in cultural management, a combination of "English as a global language" and "Comparing Societies, Politics, and Cultures" might be appropriate.
  • If you wish to specialise in literature and other media, you can combine the two modules "English Literatures" and "Literature and the Media", etc.
Q In what way is the M.A. at Chemnitz different from other M.A. programmes in Germany?
A The M.A. Anglistik/Amerikanistik at Chemnitz offers you very good specialisation opportunities. It combines traditional elements with top current new approaches like project management or intercultural communication. It includes media studies wherever possible, defining media as film, computer games or learning tools on the internet (e.g. InternetGrammar).
Q In what way does the M.A. Anglistik/Amerikanistik programme include modern teaching methodologies?
A In our teaching we aim at casting a wide spectrum from surveys in the form of lectures to intensive seminars and even group-specific projects. In some sections using a collective learning platform like Moodle and Wiki are standard.
Q Can I continue with a PhD after my M.A. programme at Chemnitz?
A Yes, of course. The best strategy is to listen to the advice given by your supervisor during your M.A. thesis project and combine your personal interests with the Chemnitz specialisations and special funding opportunities.

Semester Abroad

All the information regarding internships and semesters abroad via ERASMUS or SOCRATES, can be found here.

Press Articles