Navigation

Jump to main content
Professorship Production Systems and Processes
Tradition

Tradition

Saxony is the cradle of German machine tool construction

In Chemnitz, Johannes Zimmermann built the first German factory in 1848, in which machine tools were mass-produced, the "Chemnitz machine factory".

Founder of the Chemnitz machine and machine tool construction

Carl F. und Ludwig C. P. Bernhard
Johann P. G. Wöhler
1801
Spinning machine production in Harthau near Chemnitz
1799/1800
Spinning machine production in Furth near Chemnitz
Carl Gottlieb Haubold (1782-1856)
1807
Construction of spinning machines and looms by Bernhard and Wöhler
1826
Takeover of the Wöhler factory
Richard Hartmann (1809-1879)
Johann Zimmermann (1820-1901)
1832 - 1837
Student of C. G. Haubold
1841 - 1844
Student of C. G. Haubold
1837
Workshop i.a. for textile machines
1844
Factory for spinning machines
1840
Construction of steam engines
1848
1st series production of machine tools in Germany
1848
Construction of locomotives
1862
Gold medal for the London World's Fair
1857
Construction of machine tools
1871
Chemnitz machine tool factory
David Gustav Diehl (1823-1903)
1850 - 1852
Toolmaker at R. Hartmann
1852
Company formation
1872
UNION machine factory
1875
1. Horizontal boring machine
Werkzeugmaschinenfabrik J. ZimmermannWorld exhibition Paris 1867, booth of the Zimmermann company
(Source: G. Spur, The change in the industrial world through machine tools, Carl Hanser Verlag, 1991)
In the period that followed, a large number of other machine factories was established. Thanks to their products, machine tools, textile machines, locomotives and steam engines, Chemnitz achieved the reputation as "Saxon Manchester".

Milestones in production technology in Chemnitz

1964
1st numerically controlled lathe in Germany
1971
1st Flexible manufacturing system "Prisma" for processing assemblies for machine tools
1997
1st German hexapod machine tool "MIKROMAT 6X"
1998
1st application-ready "BDM 2000" drilling press in the world

The 60-year development of the Institute for Machine Tools and Production Processes

1956
Foundation of the Institute for Machine Tools - Prof. H. Berthold
1958
Takeover of the management of the Institute for Machine Tools - Prof. R. Piegert
1967
Transfer of the institute into the scientific area of production equipment development - Prof. R. Piegert
1968
Restructuring of the science area production tool development - Prof. R. Piegert
- Basics of machine tool design - Prof. E. Herling
- Automation of machine tools - Prof. R. Piegert
1988
Takeover of the management of the scientific area production tool development - Prof. R. Wätzig
- Basics of machine tool design - Prof. E. Herling
- Automation of machine tools - Prof. R. Wätzig
1993
Takeover of the chair of the professorship for machine tools - Prof. R. Neugebauer
1998
Establishment of an honorary professorship "Innovation Management for Product and Process Development" at the Professorship for Machine Tools - Prof. C. Schmitz-Justen (President BMW Manufacturing Co., USA)
2000
Foundation of the Institute for Machine Tools and Production Processes (IWP) - Prof. R. Neugebauerr
2004
Foundation of the Virtual Reality Center Production Engineering (VRCP) - Prof. D. Weidlich
2006
Ceremonial event on the occasion of the institute's 50th anniversary. Establishment of an honorary professorship "Optimizing Production Processes" at the Professorship for Machine Tool Design and Forming Technology - Prof. J. Heizmann (Member of the Board of Management of VOLKSWAGEN AG)
2007
Organization of the 57th CIRP General Assembly in Dresden
2008
Integration of the professorship control and regulation technology in the professorship for machine tool construction and forming technology
2009
Start of the leading-edge technology cluster "Energy-efficient product and process innovations in production technology" (eniPROD) - Spokesman: Prof. R. Neugebauer
2010
Integration of the professorship of production theory into the professorship for machine tool design and forming technology
2012
Prof. R. Neugebauer becomes 10th President of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft
Establishment of an honorary professorship "Legal Foundations of Engineering" (Lawyers Kucklick Wilhelm Börger Wolf & Söllner, Dresden)
2013
Execution of the function of managing director of the Institute for Machine Tools and Production Processes - PD Dr. W.-G. Drossel
Honorary professorship "Capital goods marketing for mechanical engineers" - Prof. F. Brinken (member of the board of directors of Starrag Group Holding AG)
2014
Perception of the Chair of Machine Tool Design and Forming Technology - Prof. M. Putz
Establishment of an honorary professorship "Tool making in automobile production" - Prof. H. Waltl (Member of the Board, production of Audi AG)
2020
Appointment of Prof. Dr.-Ing. Martin Dix and at the same time renaming to Professorship for Production Systems and Processes

The more than 180-year tradition in engineering education in Chemnitz

1836
Foundation of the Royal Business School
1929
Foundation of the "State Academy for Technology"
1947
Foundation of the Chemnitz technical training institutes
1953
Foundation of the college for mechanical engineering
1963
Granting the status of "Technical College"
1986
Granting the status of "Technical University"
You can find more detailed information on the history of Chemnitz University of Technology here.