Financing your studies
The costs incurred during the course of studies depend, among other things, on the housing conditions as well as the demands made on the quality of life. Besides those living expenses, a semester semester contribution must be paid each semester that consists of dues for the services of the Local Student Service Organisation Chemnitz-Zwickau (Studentenwerk Chemnitz-Zwickau), the student representatives and the semester ticket. Chemnitz University of Technology is a public state university, therefore no tuition fees must be paid.
In order to cover these regular costs there are several ways to finance your studies. These are among others:
- funding for students according to BAföG (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz - Federal Education and Training Assistance Act),
- further funding options from Studentenwerk Chemnitz-Zwickau,
- finding a job during your studies,
- scholarships for especially outstanding students and promotional scholarships.
BAföG is not only dedicated to German nationals. Refugees can also apply for BAföG if they fulfil the following prerequisites:
- persons who are entitled to be granted asylum,
- (recognized) refugees according to the Refugee Convention,
- persons who are entitled to subsidiary protection.
"Tolerated" refugees who have continously been in Germany for at least 15 months can apply for BAföG, too. Refugees who still are in the procedure for granting the right of asylum are not allowed to apply for BAföG.
More information can be found here (German version only).
How much you will monthly obtain depends not only on the income of your parents or spouse but also on other criteria. BAföG is granted both as a non-interest-bearing-loan (50 %) and as a grant (50 %). The decision whether you are entitled to BAföG is made on a case-by-case-decision.
The office for training assistance of Studentenwerk Chemnitz-Zwickau is responsible for the students of TU Chemnitz. There you can inform yourself about all questions regarding BAföG.To which person responsible you have to go depends on the first letter of your surname. You can find the overview here.
Personal and Telephone Consultation Hours
- Personal Consultation Hours
- Tuesday: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. (noon)
- Thursday: 12 p.m. (noon) to 5 p.m.
- Telephone Consultation Hours
- Monday: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Wednesday: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Thursday: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- student loans (KfW Student Loan),
- bridging loan (Loan Fund),
- educational loan from the Federal Office of Administration,
- financial support for students with special needs (disability, chronic illness, students with children) by Deutsches Studentenwerk.
In addition to BAföG (Federal Training Assistance Act), scholarships or other financial support options, you can also finance your studies by working part-time. With the help of the latter it is even possible to gain work experiences during your studies.
Working at the university is very popular among students looking for jobs. Student assistant jobs are mostly published by the particular faculty or Central Institutions and offer a closer look at the faculty's life. Information on vacancies can be found directly at the faculties or on the websites of the Job Portal of the Career Service of TU Chemnitz.
The Studentenwerk Chemnitz-Zwickau also offers a black board for jobs.
Some expamples of scholarships, funding programs, honors and prizes:
- Federal Association of German Foundations,
- scholarships of Industrieverein Sachsen (German version only).
More information under the following links:
- mystipendium (German version only) - scholarship database and hints for application,
- "StipendiumPlus" - support of outstanding students in higher education,
- scholarship database of BMBF (Federal Ministry of Education and Research)
- Electronic Research Funding Information,
- scholarship database,
- scholarhsip hints (German version only) - alphabetical list of funding opportunities.
For further questions, support in the search for appropriate scholarships or help during the application process, we are glad to help you. Our consultation hours you can find here.