Content Hotkeys
International Office of the Faculty
FAQ for Incomer

Frequently Asked Questions

Following we have listed questions frequently being asked by international students to help you organise and arrange your exchange in advance. If you still have any questions, please contact our International Office of the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration!

Who is responsible for Incoming Students at the Chemnitz University of Technology (TUC)?

In regard of the enrolment procedure, the buddy program,
scholarships and other administration issues:

Ms. Nadja Hüller
Phone: +49 371 / 531-39462
Email: nadja.hueller@...

For information about lectures, learning agreements (also change forms)
or other department-related issues:

Mr. Gernot Kirchner (ERASMUS+ departmental coordinator)
Phone: +49 371 / 531-30171
Email: international@...

Where can I find information about the city of Chemnitz and the TUC?

We have provided some information sheets and brochures for you in the download section. More over you can find information about Chemnitz and the TUC on the website of the city of Chemnitz, the website of the TUC or on

What do I have to do in order to do an exchange at TUC?

If your home institution has established an exchange agreement with our university (e.g. ERASMUS+), you will have to apply at your university first. Once you have been selected for an ERASMUS+ place at our university by your home university, you will have to enrol at our university as well. All necessary information for ERASMUS+ applicants can be found at the International Office of the university. Also, you can choose to come to our university without any exchange agreement. Therefore you will have to pass through the regular enrolment procedure. You can find all necessary information about the enrolment on the pages of our university administration. Further information can also be obtained on

Which fees and costs are applicable for my exchange term and when do I have to pay for them?

At TUC we do not charge you any tuition fees. You will only have to pay an administration fee of about 242.65 EUR (winter term 2015/2016) per semester. You should ideally pay the semester fee in advance with the remmitance slip before your arrival. If this is however not possible for you, you can open up a bank account in Germany and do the payment immediately after. Besides that you will have to consider costs of living and accommodation, which are both quite fair in Chemnitz. A flat/room costs around 200 EUR / month (see accommodation market for examples), costs of living of your depend on your life style but should usually however be less than 200 EUR.

When do the lectures start at TUC?

The lectures of the winter term usually start by the beginning or mid of October, in summer they begin by mid of April. You can look up the exact dates here (Academic Calendar) or on the website of the orientation week. The start time of our course units, you find in the overview below:


1st course unit 7:30 am to 9:00 am
2nd course unit 9:15 am to 10:45 am
3rd course unit 11:30 am to 1:00 pm
4th course unit 1:45 pm to 3:15 pm
5th course unit 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm
6th course unit 5:15 pm to 6:45 pm
7th course unit 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm

When should I arrive to Chemnitz?

We do recommend to arrive a bit earlier than the lectures start, so you have time to get familiar with the city and also take care of all administration procedures. One or two weeks prior to the begin of your lectures should however be soon enough. Definitely you should consider to take part in the orientation week which usually starts one week before the lectures begin. Further information can also be acquired at the International Office of the university or at the website of the buddy program.

Where can I stay during my exchange at TUC / enrol at TUC?

There are different types of accommodation possibilities for you in Chemnitz. First of all, there is a accommodation market for exchange students, where you can look for suitable flats or rooms. Also, you can apply for a student residence close to or even on campus. Please use for this the online application form. If you want to experience a real German shared living, you can also try your luck on - a website where German students usually offer their rooms and accommodation even for short time periods, e.g. if they go abroad themselves.

Are there courses offered in English language as well or do I have to attend courses in German?

The Faculty of Economics and Business Administration always offers a variety of courses taught in English language. You can look up the current list of courses taught in English language here. If you however have skills in German language, you can of course also attend the usual German classes, which you can look up here. Additionally and especially for exchange students, there will be offered a crash course in German language for you, to refresh your German or at least pick up the basics of the language.

When do I have to sign up for courses and how do I do that?

It is usually enough if you sign up for courses once you are here in Chemnitz. Therefore, you get in touch with the lecturer of the course (via email) or just show up in the lecture. Please consider the course information we provide on our website!

How can I find a room if I know only the room number?

We provide for our students a "Campusfinder", which helps you to find a room at our campus. You have to do nothing else than to fill in the gap "Room number" (e.g. N114 (not: 2/N114)) and to press the button "Search". After this you can click on the link "on the map" to see in which building to room is. If you get more then one result, you have to choose in which part of the university you are searching (e.g. 2/N114 means room N114 in the part/site 2 of the university).

Do I have to sign up for exams?

Depending on the courses you attend, you may have to sign up for exams at our examination office (in German: Prüfungsamt). In particular if you need the grade to fulfil your Learning Agreement we strongly recommend to sign up for the exam, because otherwise we can not guarantee that the grade is mentioned in your Transcript of Records.

The sign-up-form can be found in our download area as well. Please complete the sign-up-form and put it in the mailbox of our examination office (Reichenhainer Straße 70 or Straße der Nationen 62 near the student service). Alternatively you can also send the sign-up-form by post to Chemnitz University of Technology, Zentrales Prüfungsamt, 09107 Chemnitz. Mr. Ricardo Renatus is in charge for ERASMUS+ students at the Prüfungsamt and you can contact him here.

What do I have to do once I arrived to Chemnitz?

There are certain things to do for you after your arrival in Chemnitz, most important are the following points:

  • Visit the Resident's Registration Office to register yourself
  • Get a confirmation of your home health insurance or sign up for a new health insurance at a German health insurance company
  • Matriculation at the Service Point
  • Registration in the University Computing Services (URZ)

Further information can be obtained on the pages of the buddy program.

Where can I stay if my accommodation is not ready or I do arrive to Chemnitz at unsuitable times?

If you arrive at unsuitable times, your accommodation is not ready or you simply didn't find any accommodation yet, you can stay at the Chemnitz hostel "Eins" which just opened in 2012. You can make your booking via email or phone call and you will find all information on the hostels website.

Who can pick me up from the train station or get the keys for my accommodation?

We recommend all exchange students to register for the buddy program! The earlier you register for it, the better the chances to find somebody to help and assist you in any regard concerning your arrival or your stay here in Chemnitz. Buddys can pick you up from the train station, pick up the keys from your accommodation for you or help you finding an accommodation. And who knows - maybe your buddy will even turn into your friend! So go ahead and sign up for the buddy program here!

What is the buddy program (Patenprogramm) and how can I sign up for it?

The TUC offers a buddy program where voluntary students of TUC take part in. If you want to get in touch with German students or if you simply feel like better having somebody at your side for questions of all kind, we warmly recommend the buddy program to you. You can also ask your buddy to pick you up from the train station or maybe even pick up the keys of your accommodation for you. If you are interested, you can sign up for it here.

Where can I find and how can I sign up for language courses?

The "Zentrum für Fremdsprachen" offers German language courses on different levels which you can attend. If you want to sign up for a course, please visit the pages of the "Zentrum für Fremdsprachen". Also, we offer an intensive course on "German Language, Civilazation and Culture" which is definitely worth to attend!

How can I find out about the ECTS credits of a course?

If you have looked up a course (e.g. in the course directory) and couldn't find any information about the ECTS credits of a course, you can use the following rule to estimate the credits of a course:

Usually one teaching hour per week (=1 LVS) equals 1,5 ECTS credits. According to that rule, you will usually be able to obtain 3 ECTS credits with a course of 2 LVS or about 4/5 ECTS credits for a course with 3 LVS. Please note: Some lectures include additional exercise courses which have to be added to the teaching hours of the course to calculate the total amount of ECTS credits.

In other cases you find information about working hours (AS = "Arbeitsstunden") in the course directory. To translate these working hours in ECTS you have to divide the working hours with 30. According to that rule, you will for example be able to obtain 4 ECTS credits with a course of 120 AS/working hours.


Press Articles