Jump to main content
University Management
Support Offers for Refugees

Support Offers for Refugees

This information is also available in German and Ukrainian | український.
Questions are welcome to be sent to the general e-mail address from now on:

For the Ukrainians who will be coming to Chemnitz as refugees in the coming days and weeks, we have – in addition to offering the gymnasium as possible emergency accommodation if the need arises – launched an immediate package that will be gradually expanded.

On this website you'll find an overview and further details of the offered support services by Chemnitz University of Technology. The information will be expanded regularly.

Saxony has summarized the most important initial information for refugees on a flyer: First Contact Flyer (PDF). In addition, a detailed first orientation guide for people from Ukraine has been created: Important Information for People from Ukraine (in Ukrainian) (PDF)

Saxony has launched "Pack dein Studium", an information campaign for refugee students from Ukraine. Its overview flyer (in Ukrainian) (PDF) provides information about Saxony's higher education landscape and offers valuable hints to prospective students.

Campaign to Start or to continue Studies in Saxony

Support offers for Ukrainian refugees of the International Office

Current Support and Funding Opportunities for Students


As part of the project “Welcome to TU Chemnitz” of the International Office, refugees from Ukraine are given comprehensive advice on the possibilities of studying at Chemnitz University of Technology.

For questions, you can reach the project by e-mail:


As a temporary bridging measure until the resumption of the studies, there is the possibility to first study as an exchange student or freemover at Chemnitz University of Technology for one to two semester.

If you are interested, please contact Ms. Nadja Hüller, International Office, for further information:

Georgius Agricola Scholarship (part-time)

Georgius Agricola Scholarships (part-time) are awarded to students of higher semesters and graduate students from the countries of Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe (including Ukraine) with above-average performance. It is possible to apply on an ongoing basis.

If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Katharina Wohlgemuth, International Office:

Further Information at: Georgius Agricola Scholarship (part-time)

Georgius Agricola Scholarship (full time)

Financial support is provided for study visits (standard period of study) by particularly talented students, including those from Ukraine, to obtain a university degree in a technical or scientific subject. In specially justified cases, students of other subjects can also be financially supported.

If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Katharina Wohlgemuth, International Office:

Further information at: Georgius Agricola Scholarship (full time)

Current Support and Funding Opportunities for Researchers

Philipp Schwartz Initiative

Chemnitz University of Technology supports researchers at risk within the Philipp Schwartz Initiative of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. In the long-term, the funding program aims at providing persons research opportunities in a safe environment. The International Office carries out the central coordination of the Philipp Schwartz Initiative. The next round of calls for proposals is expected to begin in September with funding starting from 1st January 2023.

If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Katharina Wohlgemuth, International Office:

Further information at: Philipp Schwartz Initiative

Walter Benjamin Program

Within the framework of the Walter Benjamin Program, refugee researchers, who have been forced to leave their home country within the last three years, receive financial support to carry out their own research project. In addition, universities can submit supplementary applications to integrate qualified refugees into DFG projects that are already funded.

Further information at: Walter Benjamin Program

Volkswagen Foundation: Funding for Refugee Scholars and Scientists from Ukraine

The Volkswagen Foundation supports researchers from Ukraine with a monthly scholarship of 1,700 euros (doctoral students) or 2,300 euros (postdoctoral candidates) and a monthly family allowance of up to 500 euros. The program is designed to help continue scientific activities in Germany. Applications must be submitted jointly by university management and host researchers. The funding period is 6-12 months.

Further information at: Volkswagen Foundation

Other Important Contact Points in Chemnitz

AG Ukraine-Chemnitz-Europa e.V.

The Ukrainian non-profit cultural association is committed to building a dialogue in cultural or social areas and supports migrants in the integration process. Furthermore, they help people in need in Ukraine with clothes, food, medicines and financial resources.

For further information: AG Ukraine-Chemnitz-Europa e.V.

Sprachmittlerpool of AGIUA

Sprach- und Integrationsmittler (language and integration mediators) can provide you with language support during important appointments and for written translations.

Further information at: SprInt

Useful links

Counselling and support offer of the Family Service

Counselling offer

  • Pregnancy and maternity protection
  • Studying with a child
  • Working with family responsibilities
  • Information for family caregivers

Support offer

  • Provision of all necessary applications for families (child benefit, parental leave applications, etc.)
  • Support in application procedures

Childcare services

  • Support for the provision of suitable childcare facilities
  • Support in the application process and cooperation with day care centers in the city of Chemnitz

Further information can be found on the Website of the Family Service of the TU Chemnitz.

Your contact person

Isabell Höfner
Family Service Coordinator
  • Phone:
    +49 371 531-30101
  • Email:
  • Sprechzeiten:
    Monday: 1.00 p.m. to 4.00 p.m.
    Wednesday: 2.00 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
    Friday: 8.00 a.m. to 11.00 a.m.

Offer of the Psychosocial Counselling Service of the TU Chemnitz

The Psychosocial Counselling Service (PCS) of the TU Chemnitz can be used by refugee students and researchers as a first point of contact for psychological problems and crises resulting from the stresses of war, flight and immigration to Germany. The PCS offers relieving conversations (in a protected space and under confidentiality) to cope with the events experienced and the current situation as well as further developments. Within the framework of counselling, referrals can be made to other appropriate support services in Chemnitz and the surrounding area, and, if necessary, support can also be provided in arranging psychotherapeutic treatment at the Psychotherapeutic University Ambulance (PHA-TUC), among other places.

Our complete range of services can be found on our website (German version).

Counselling is free of charge, independent of student or residence status, and available without health insurance benefits.

Your contact persons

Prof. Dr. Stephan Mühlig
Management of the Counselling Service
  • Phone:
    +49 371 531-28404
  • Email:
M.Sc. Psych. Luise Kuzmowicz
Employee of the Counselling Service
  • Phone:
    +49 371 531-28404
  • Email:
M.Sc. Psych. Fabian Brock
Employee of the Counselling Service
  • Phone:
    +49 371 531-28404
  • Email:

Language Courses for Refugees

Course offer: German Courses for refugees and prospective students.

Duration: Courses start on April 25, 2022.

Registration: If you are interested, please get in touch with our contact persons.

Further details will be published on the Website Course Information.

Your contact person

Dr. Maria Worf

Career Service

Anyone who needs support finding a job can contact the Career Service of TU Chemnitz.

We offer help for finding open positions, creation of application documents and preparation for interviews.

You have English / German skills? Write to Mr. André Claren:

You do not have English / German skills? Write to Ms. Salomeia Sadovnik:

Student Service

The Student Service is responsible for all formalities related to admission and implementation of a degree program. These include, among others, enrollment, exmatriculation, admission of international applicants or guest student program.

Refugees in connection with the Ukraine conflict can apply for a remission of the guest student fee. A copy of the passport and a copy of the document of residence have to be handed in as proof.

Further information and the application form can be found on the websites of the Student Service:
Application for Guest Student Program

Crisis Team

Chemnitz University of Technology has set up a crisis team to develop further support services for refugees, among other things. Its members are:

  • Prof. Dr. Gerd Strohmeier
  • Prof. Dr. Maximilian Eibl
    Vice President for Academic and International Affairs
  • Prof. Dr. Uwe Götze
    Vice President for Transfer and Academic Qualification
  • Prof. Dr. Jörn Ihlemann
    Vice President for Research and Junior Researchers
  • Thomas Lang
    Acting Chancellor
  • Frank Hohaus
    Chairman of the Staff Council
  • Dr. Philipp Cain
    Deputy Chairman of the Staff Council
  • Michael Schmischke
    Representative of the University Management for Young Academics
  • Greti Kneita
    Representative of the Student Council
  • Prof. Dr. Vladimir Shikhman
    Coordinator of the refugee support group of Chemnitz University of Technology
  • Dr. Benny Liebold
    Head of the International Office
  • Dr. Michael Partmann
    Assistant to the President specialized in University politics and University development

Press Articles