Although there are different approaches to describe indoor structures using OpenStreeMap, currently there is no Android application available which is able to show outdoor and indoor maps together in one view. One aim of the project GINKO (Generic infrastructure for the seemless energetic connection of elctric vehicles) is to develop such an app.
The focus doing this lies on the usage of the mapsforge library. This library is widely used for drawing outdoor maps using OSM data. Within the project it will be enhanced to also draw indoor structures which are defined with the scheme proposed by Marcus Goetz (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/IndoorOSM).
In the end, the aim of the application is to give drivers of electric vehicles a seemless navigation from outdoors directly do a charging station inside a building (especially a parking garage).
- You can download this app here: InOutdoorMapViewer.apk
As mentioned above the scheme to describe indoor structures of a building is based on the proposal of Marcus Goetz. This proposal is extended by an additional element, the so called "roompart". Thus it is possible to map elements of a room like desks, beds, etc. Within this scheme a cascaded structure of relations is used.
- The BUILDING is the main relation of the model and contains all levels (floors) as well as the entrances/exits of the buildung. The levels are also defined as relations whereas the entraces/exits are single nodes.
- Each LEVEL of the building is described as a child relation of the BUILDING itself. Different OSM elements like nodes, ways and relations can be member of the LEVEL. They are to represent the different parts of the level (like rooms, corridors etc) and their individual role is defined as buldingpart.
- The different building parts also have to be mapped using the OSM scheme. They are relations which contain the walls, elements of a room, etc. as room parts.
- Each room part with a covered area (e.g. rooms, corridors) is mapped as a closed way while other parts (like doors or windows) are mapped as single nodes potentially extended by additional informations (e.g. height or width).
Please take a look at the given example under: tuc_wbau_indoor.osm
In the future is a detailled description of the data scheme available.
You can change the displayed maps using the buttons "Set outdoor map" and "Set indoor map". Before doing that you have to copy the desired maps (look here for outdoor maps: http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/). Through there is currently no other indoor map in our format available, you can directly start with mapping
Please do NOT add an indoor map, which is decribed in the scheme of http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/IndoorOSM. The app will crash in that case. The handling of this scheme is already implemented and will be (re-)added to the app soon.