Jump to main content
English Department
Outgoing students

Information for Outgoing Students (ERASMUS and other)

All the information on this page is for all students who will study abroad, regardless of their study programme (e.g. IKK). If you are interested in internships at our ERASMUS partners', please visit ERASMUS internships.

Current details about special information events offered by the International Office and alternative programmes to go abroad (e.g. PROMOS) can be found on this page. Please also consult your ERASMUS Institutional Coordinator if you have questions about administrative issues in general (e.g. money). A summary of these issues is available here (in German). 

Attention! New application form: English / German!
Due date March 31, 2020! More information herehere, and in the paragraph above ↖.

  1. Before you apply (January)
  2. Where to go
  3. How to apply (February)
  4. Accept your place (April)
  5. When you come back ("next year")

Before you apply

Am I eligible?

You can ask all the necessary questions during our first ERASMUS meeting with the institutional (Oliver Sachs in UIZ) and departmental coordinators (Prof. Sandten for the Milan and Cyprus exchange, Prof. Schmied for all others) in December each year.

In the first instance, priority is always given to students from the English and American Studies Department, but students from other faculties/departments of the TU are also free to apply, provided that we still have further spaces to fill.

ERASMUS arrangements are primarily between departments who know that they offer similar teaching programmes for their students. This is why we can only send students with specific skills & knowledge to certain partner universities. For instance if you want to go to Porto, you need to have some knowledge in translation studies or for León you will have to know something about corpus linguistics, for Oviedo you need to have had some exposure to grammar studies (and some "survival Spanish" will also be useful before you start). For lesser-known languages like Finnish, summer language schools are financed by ERASMUS upon application.

"As the student's subject area is outside the area agreed on the bilateral agreement and would only be suitably catered for within a different faculty, I do not feel that we could accept him. I am sorry about this and hope that he is still able to realise a period of study abroad in the future."

The anonymous quote above clearly illustrates what our exchange partners think about applicants who study unrelated subjects.

In some universities, the selection of courses is restricted for ERASMUS students (this usually applies particularly to English literature), simply because there may be too many ERASMUS students and no specific courses can be provided for them. However, in principle all students of English in the broadest sense, which may include media communication and intercultural communication, are accepted.

In any case, you should be aware of the fact that the English Department’s ERASMUS exchanges are not arranged to help to improve your English (Italian, etc. for that matter), but to compare the different approaches to teaching about English, communication and culture in different parts of Europe.

SORRY the School of Modern Languages CLOSED!!!

Dear Partner,
I am writing to you in relation to the Erasmus+ Inter-Institutional Agreement between your institute and our School of Modern Languages.
The School of Modern Languages at Ulster University has unfortunately closed.  The School is therefore no longer able to continue the partnership and will be unable to support student and staff exchanges in this subject area from academic year 2018/19.  We therefore wish to tender our notice of termination. 
We wish to thank you for our past partnership and hope that we can work together again in the future.
Kind regards,
Suzanne Hewitt

Where to go



Specialisation / Course Selection at



Translation Studies & Corpus Linguistics / Faculty of Arts, Departamento de Filología Moderna



Translation Studies / Department of Anglo-American Studies


Translation Studies


EAP & Corpus Linguistics / di Studi Linguistici e Culturali


only English and Italian


Studies in Language Mediation and Intercultural Communication


Languages and Philological Sciences





Languages and Philological Sciences / Faculté des Lettres & des Langues

Czech Republic

Czech Republic


Czech Republic

Languages and Philological Sciences / Faculty of Humanities




Languages and Philological Sciences


Foreign Languages (English) / Faculty of Philology "Blaze Koneski"


Institute of English, Faculty of Philology




ELT / Department of English Language and Literature


English Language and Literature

1. Strictly English Department students only!

2. If you are interested in going to these universities, please contact Prof. Dr. Cecile Sandten in addition to completing the online and offline registration tasks listed here.

NB: Since the new ERASMUS contracts have not been finalized for all partners yet, we strongly advise you to consider at least three universities in your application, so that we can decide where we have places available. Information on the application procedures for the universities without info link will be updated as soon as it becomes available. Please check this site regularly.

Indecisive? Check the ERASMUS reports by returning students to get some more impressions which may help facilitate the choice.contracts with the universities in italics.

How to apply

The deadline for applications for each academic year (e.g. 2019/2020) is February 20th, so that we can send you an offer by the end of the month. Please read through the list of tasks below and make sure that you have all necessary information and know exactly what to do before using the link to the registration platform at the bottom of this page.

In order to apply, you will need to provide the following details/complete the following tasks, separated into online and ‘offline’ lists below:

Online tasks

  • Fill in the online application form, clearly stating your preferences for one or more partner universities.
  • State the names of two members of academic staff who know you (reasonably) well and are willing to provide references. Make sure they give their consent to you beforehand! References will not automatically be requested, though, so the referees will only have to provide the references if we actually request for them.
  • Write an academic essay on “How I will profit from studying abroad” comprising 2,000-5,000 words. Prepare this essay beforehand in MS Word or any other text editing software (excluding any formatting, title or personal information), so that you can paste it into the appropriate text field that is part of the online form. When you submit the form, this field will automatically be checked and if it contains less than 2,000 words, your online submission will be rejected!
    In the essay, describe subjects, methodologies and perspectives that you have found particularly interesting in your studies so far; discuss various aspects of a semester at a (your) foreign university intensively, how it would relate to your previous studies, and plan what you could do when you are back in Germany later on in your studies, thesis and life in general. We value and appreciate your thoughts about these topics. At the same time we would be very interested in your stylistic abilities and the different ways you express your ideas coherently in English. We therefore plan to investigate your essays with the help of computer tools in order to find out about the syntactic complexity, idiomaticity and semantic depth of your Academic English.

‘Offline’ tasks

All documents listed below are to be submitted in printed form to Anne Messner in RH39/222.

  1. Submit a tabular CV, including a recent picture of yourself.
  2. Provide a list of all your previous courses, plus all relevant certificates (e.g. Notenbescheinigung). 


Registration via the online platform is compulsory for all students, regardless of the programme you choose to study abroad with. That means even if you choose to study at e.g. the University of Washington (Seattle) and apply for a DAAD scholarship or choose to pay for it yourself, you have to register here as well.

Registration is usually open from January to February for the respective academic year.

Registration is temporarily open.

Proceed to the registration form here. Please note, though, that access to the registration form is only possible if you know the username and password, which will be sent to you in the confirmation e-mail after you have subscribed to the ERASMUSIAA Mailing List. All 3rd semester BA students should join this list. Please report any potential problems with the registration form to the Webmaster.

Accept your place

fill in forms, finish your semester work early

Please accept your place with the institutional and departmental coordinators, so that you are invited to our second ERASMUS meeting in April each year. We nominate you at your assigned host university. Fill in the ERASMUS money form, which can be obtained from your institutional coordinator. Return all forms to your host university, especially accommodation and course selection. The info links (last column in the "Where to go" Table above)  will help you find the respective forms for your host university. If you do not receive any information from your host university by June 1, contact your departmental coordinator (Prof. Sandten for the Milan and Cyprus exchange, Prof. Schmied for the others).

For some universities (like Tampere) you need a language certificate. You can download the form here (DAAD Sprachzeugnis). Fill in the first few lines, print it out and take it to your Departmental Coordinator to sign, so that you can add it to your application.

Make sure you finish your summer semester work early enough so that you do not have to carry papers to your host university. Talk to your course instructors to see whether you can receive comments on your work before you leave. In other words, make sure you get all of your work done completely before you go abroad!

When you come back

put together your portfolio, write the ERASMUS report and the Report / Reflective Essay and register for the oral test

For detailed information on the reflective essay, please download this MS Word Document: The Report/Reflective Essay Outline.

PL oral exam:
Please consult your "Studienordnung" and/or "Prüfungsordnung" for information about exams, etc. after your return; usually orals can be at the end of the Winter Semester (if you send your Report by January 10th) or at the beginning or Summer Semester (if you send your Report by March 10th).
Put all your university documents, i.e. your learning agreement/academic essay (from "last year"), course descriptions, corrected/marked term papers, transcript, ERASMUS report/Erfahrungsbericht in English (scroll down to the bottom), etc., in one folder and hand it in to the Sprachpraxiskoordinator together with this cover sheet. At the beginning of the summer semester, you will discuss your experience abroad based on these documents in English with the professor responsible for your semester abroad (who has signed your learning agreement) and the Sprachpraxiskoordninator. Make sure you argue in good academic English, emphasizing the intercultural, linguistic and academic differences between your host and home university, give ample evidence with concrete examples from your classes and term papers (the style should be analytical, e.g. a SWOT analysis). Be prepared to explain the marks (good and not so good) you received at your host university.

Students who intend to do an auslandsorientiertes Semester can use the simplified form that can be discussed with coordinator Sprachpraxis.
Please select 3-4 courses from the (previous?) WS (the department-specific PL requirements in the chosen classes apply, not necessarily those suggested in the Modul description; you can also choose a language class from the Language Centre) and an INTERNATIONAL placement/traineeship/internship with enough hours and weeks to be equivalent to 10 ECTS points, so that together with your final report and the oral exam next year you collect 30 ECTS points for this semester.
If the course teacher does not have a form to send your certificate+grade to our ZPA, you can give him this certificate form (Schein) to sign and hand it in with all the other documents in your Learning Agreement at the end of your auslandsorientiertes Semester.

Press Articles