Chemnitz UT: Fakulty ET/IT: Chair Microtechnology: Chair
Prof. Dr. Dr. Prof. h.c. mult. Thomas Gessner
- Studies in physics and completed doctoral thesis to Dr. rer. nat. at the Faculty of Natural Science at TU Dresden in 1983.
- Postdoctoral lecturing qualification to Dr.-Ing. habil. in the field of microelectronic technologies at University of Technology Karl-Marx-Stadt in 1989.
- Several positions in the industry (ZMD Dresden) at the development of metallization systems for d-RAM integrated circuits. Head of department and project leader in cooperation with the College of Technology for Microelectronics of University of Technology Karl-Marx-Stadt (1983 – 1990).
- Offer professorships at Universities Chemnitz (1993) and Freiburg (1997).
- Since 1991 Director of the Center for Microtechnologies at the Chemnitz University of Technology (today about 100 collaborators) and assumption of a chair for microtechnology at Chemnitz University of Technology (1993).
- Appointment as member of the Academy of Science in Saxony in the year 1996.
- 1998 – 2007 Head of the department “Micro Devices and Equipment” Chemnitz at Berlin Fraunhofer Institute for Reliability and Microintegration (Fraunhofer IZM).
- 2006 - 2008 Deputy Director of Fraunhofer IZM and Director of Fraunhofer IZM Branch Chemnitz.
- Since 2008 Director of the new founded Fraunhofer ENAS (Fraunhofer Research Institution for Electronic Nano Systems), former Fraunhofer IZM Branch Chemnitz.
- Appointment as Advisory Professor of FUDAN University in Shanghai (China) in the year 1999 and of Chongqing University in the year 2003.
- Appointment as Guest Professor of the Chinese Academy of Science in Beijing (China) in the year 2007.
- Author or co-author of more than 500 publications and 27 patent applications; publication of conference proceedings to several international conferences in the field of ULSI-metallization and collaboration in international conference committees as well as editorial board of journals in the area of microsystem technologies like the European Conference on Smart Systems Integration SSI.
- Vice-chancellor of the Chemnitz University of Technology (1994 – 1997).
- Since 2006 Dean of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology at Chemnitz University of Technology.
- 1998 – 2004 member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- Appointment as member of the German Academy of Technical Sciences (acatech) in the year 2002.